Filter your choice

Filter type:

Impact of air quality on the sleep quality

We sleep for approximately 30% of our lives. Those hours rather affect the waking part of the day, which is the remaining 70% of our lives. How we wake up already says a lot about the quality of the sleep enjoyed. Like being reborn? Nothing more to do. In all other cases, it makes sense to read on.

Sleeping well is a hot topic. There is a whole market of E-courses, soothing drops, and other ways or means to achieve a good night’s sleep. A good night’s sleep is the key to a productive day. To a clear head that can oversee everything better. And to a body that feels energized because it is sufficiently recharged.

After all, cell division in hibernation is at a maximum, allowing us to recover physically well. That is a reason to delve into the ideal conditions for that process to run as smoothly as possible. A lot of advice can be found, for instance, on the effect of coffee, alcohol, and screen use. From our field, we naturally focus on the role of air quality in the bedroom.

Ventilate = vitalise

The main concern here is the concentration of CO2 in the bedroom. At night, it increases rapidly. When we exhale, we emit carbon dioxide, which remains in the room until sufficient fresh air is supplied. Up to about 800 ppm (parts per million) of CO2, one speaks of good air quality for sleeping. In many bedrooms, however, the concentration is much higher. If two people are sleeping, a CO2 meter hits the red zone in less than an hour. With one person, it takes a little longer but even then, the air is insufficiently fresh for most of the night.

That is not surprising, as our bedrooms are often small and have low-perfect conditions for high CO2 concentrations, especially when sleeping. Sleeping experts recommend not keeping the bedroom window fully closed at night if possible and continuously monitoring the quality of the room air. Our vital organs, like our lungs and brain, work and recover best when fresh air is inhaled. While you sleep, you then regain full strength.

Passively healthier

In this way, fresh air passively contributes to our well-being, and it requires no effort. Just a conscious choice for healthy air. Especially while we sleep.

Studies in homes show that the amount of fresh air supply in bedrooms is often insufficient. Partly because of the time we spend there, good air quality in the sleeping area is extra important. A healthy indoor climate starts with the basics: a proper ventilation system and timely replacement of saturated filters. Depending on the quality of outside air, filters that also capture ultrafine particles and/or pollen can be used.

How do you measure the air quality indoors?

The first step towards a healthy indoor climate is monitoring what the CO2 levels are in a room. A CO2 meter measures the amount of carbon dioxide in the air, expressed in PPM. Based on the CO2 values in a room, action can be taken. A value of 800 or higher requires better ventilation in the room. At a PPM of 1200 and above, health problems arise. Measure = To know.

Written by Bas
Online Marketeer at TOPS Luchtfilters